, , , , , , , , , ,

Sometimes things happen in such an order of events, that I am in awe of the end results… This is the story of how my decision to quit my job got me fired.

This particular event actually happened at the end of August. Since then, I’ve spent some time processing the whole thing and just adjusting to a normal sleep schedule again. Until recently, I didn’t know how to express my thoughts. So I’ll do my best.

I should probably start out by mentioning that even though I lost an awesome job, I’m not upset in the least. The place was starting to eat away at me, and generally making me miserable to a degree that was becoming harder to hide as time went by.

Every job comes with it’s problems. I understand that. But sometimes, the problems just get out of hand for ridiculous reasons and it becomes too much to tolerate. Of all the things I hated about that place, there was only thing that legitimately pissed me off beyond reason.

The mandatory meetings….

Okay. So the meetings weren’t that bad, hardly lasted more than twenty minutes. And it was the only time you could show up to the place and dress how ever you liked, unless you were currently working that shift. You didn’t even really have to pay attention, because each meeting was always the same. Put make up on, wear a clean uniform, be nice to the customers, do your side work. And so on and so on.

My only issue with the whole thing; the time at which these meetings were held.

As I’ve mentioned on many occasions, and as the name of the blog enforces, I worked midnight shifts at this diner. Meaning, I was there anywhere from 11:45p-8a. And how did I cope with those hours? By sleeping from 2p-10p. And EVERYONE there knew that’s what I did.

The time of the meetings? Generally around 4p. Once or twice the meetings were held at 3p. So yes, they always insisted on holding the meetings in the beginning of my sleep time. Always. And why? Because no one wanted to put out the extra effort to accommodate the employees just a little. The meeting had to be done in a way that everyone was present and no one had to be bothered again.

There was one time when I actually had to show up to a meeting. It lasted ten minutes, and cost me 8 hours of sleep. No lie, swear it on my life and all my furry pets. Maintaining my sleep schedule involved a strict routine that couldn’t be interrupted, and that one set back was enough to send my body out of the routine.

I was awake for over 48 hours because of it, and obviously, was miserable the whole time at work. After that, I always made it a point to ask the owner if he wanted me to show up at the meetings. He never did, stating that myself and Kiwi were fine, and we didn’t have to worry about it.

Now, this next bit is essentially my fault, and I understand that. But at the same time, the ultimate decision to fire me came from someone who has no right to even make the call.

Also, it’s important to keep in mind: I’d been considering putting in my two week notice because I couldn’t stand working there anymore. The only thing left to decide was, put in the notice immediately or wait until the end of the winter? There are a million stories I could tell that would explain why I started to hate it there so much. All you really need to know is that I couldn’t tolerate dealing with the drunk customers anymore, I had hated working with Lion for a long time, and I was sick of not getting to have a social life because my hours were so freaking strange.

There was a meeting on a Friday, 3p. And very simply, I decided that I was not going to go. I didn’t mention it to anybody, I didn’t ask the owner anything. I simply did not care anymore. I was putting my foot down, in a way, and taking charge of my life again. I simply went to sleep and woke up as usual, and got ready for work.

There was a voice mail on my cell phone when I woke up, from the manager at work. I just sent her a text, said ‘sorry I was sleeping, whats up?’ and got in the shower like usual. Got out, got dressed, and essentially, was ready to head out to work.

But I had this feeling, and normally, my ‘feelings’ tend to be pretty spot on. So I called up the place and talked to her. She mentioned the meeting and how I wasn’t there. And proceeded with, “I’m taking you off the schedule.”

It took me a few seconds to process the information, and to even really realize what she meant. There were times when an employee was simply ‘suspended’ for a few shifts because of something they had done. “You mean, permanently?” was the only thing I could think to say.

“Yes,” she said. She didn’t sound very thrilled at all.

“Even though (the owner) always tells me that I don’t have to go?”

“… Yes.”

“Fine,” I said, sort of like a child. “I didn’t want to work there anymore anyway. I just didn’t want to screw you guys over for the holiday weekend.”

This is the time to mention: I later found out that the owner wasn’t at the meeting at all, and his daughter was running it instead. Because of something that Lion asked, the daughter (who is such an awful person that I’ve never once heard anything nice said about her) noticed that I wasn’t there. And since the owner wasn’t around to defend me, she made the decision to fire me.

And that was the end of it. I was no longer employed. And what did I do that night? I called up some of my friends and went out to the bar! There was a celebration and lots of laughter over the whole thing.

I hadn’t felt that happy in a long time, and I realized that things were only going to get better after that. The way I look at it, I suppose I had made the decision to quit when I didn’t show up to the meeting. You could say I was fired, or that I quit. Either way it works.

Now here’s the fun little bonus to the WHOLE situation. Two other people did not show up to that meeting. One of them got fired, but the second person? Nope. They still wanted her to keep the job. Why? Because she had worked there for so long, she had a steady supply of regular customers that came in to see her. I suspect that they didn’t want her customers to stop coming in. But it’s okay, because she put in her two weeks notice anyway, and at this point in time, should be gone from there.

There is a following of my own, the regulars that I built up in the time working there. They’re all very pissed off that I don’t work there anymore, because the vast majority of them only came in to see me. I know the diner isn’t going to go out of business without me. I didn’t consider myself that special there, but there is a decent amount of business to be lost now that I’m gone.

In the end, no matter how I look at it all, I can’t even get mad. I was so miserable there, and now I’m so happy to be free from it.

The only question left to answer…. What happens to this blog now?